Cable TV Override
Cable TV Override
Many organizations employ cable television systems throughout public areas and residential facilities. Alertus Technologies' cable television override solution transforms cable TVs into an internal enterprise emergency alert system. In a matter of seconds, you will be able to override all screens and all channels with a full-screen notification. Alert notifications are easily updated and will remain actively displayed for a designated period of time or until cancelled. Alternatively, a partial screen override option captures attention with less intrusiveness.
Cable television override is a perfect complement to existing public address systems to help ensure the integrity of messages in loud areas. It is also an effective way to alert those who may be deaf or hard-of-hearing. The Alertus text-to-speech module streamlines the notification process by ensuring simultaneous activation of both the audible and visual systems. The Alertus fire alarm interface can ensure consistent notifications across all systems.
Immediate: Cable TV override is rapidly deployable and can be launched via the Alertus Activation Console software from any computer or mobile device
Customizable: Overrides existing display with customized, full-screen alert message
Personalization: Alert can be personalized to display your organization’s logo (only available if using a PC-based configuration)
Integrated: Software designed to interface with external devices, including the wall-mounted Alert Beacon®, most LCD screens, LED marquees, and digital media displays
An emergency alert can be initiated through a variety of sources using the Alertus system, including the Alertus Console, Alertus mobile app, panic button, and a number of inbound integrators. Notification points check in with the server periodically to determine whether an alert has been initiated and devices are active or disabled. Once an alert has been initiated and acknowledged by the system, the Alertus system can disseminate an active alert to numerous endpoints, including cable TV override. Visit the system overview page to learn more about the Alertus server and how it works.
Cable TV override can only override analog televisions channels (not digital channels) at this time. Emergency alerts override the entire screen of every channel. The system can override some specific channels that are generated on-side, such as a university-specific channel that gets added to the institution’s cable feed internally and only goes to the campus.
Any override equipment must be installed at one critical point before the analog signal is split. The system can be configured in several different ways depending on an organization’s needs; these options are outlined below.
Configuration Option 1
- This option requires a PC, external relay box, comb filter, and sometimes a video format converter and allows for full customization of the emergency alert.
- The Alertus override client is an optional software-based client that is part of the Alertus solution. It can be configured for digital signage override or cable TV override. The Alertus override clients are Windows desktop applications that run in the system tray until an alert is sent out. When activated, they maximize and take over the screen of the computer on which they are running. They are the best option for overriding digital signage and cable TV systems when Windows-based signage endpoints or video source feeds are used. This software is only required when using a PC-based configuration. If using an analog/digital EAS controllers or comb filter, no software is required.
- The Alertus Override clients were built on the same framework as the Alertus Desktop Notification application. All applications share similar system requirements and configuration options.
The Alertus Desktop client application requires a computer that meets the following requirements:
- Windows XP operating system or greater with the .NET 2.0 Framework (or greater) installed
- ~7 Mbs of free hard disk space
- Network connectivity to the Alertus Server
- Access to a user account with administrative rights that will be used to install the application
- PC: Core i3 or later, Windows 7 recommended
- 4GB+ RAM. ~10GB free HDD space
- DVI video output
- Video accelerator is recommended but not required
- RS-232 serial port (either on motherboard or via PCI card; USB-RS232 strongly NOT recommended.)
- The Monroe R180 is a comb filter that can override analog cable channels only. Required models vary depending on how many channels an organization wants to override.
Configuration Option 2
- The Alertus system can be configured to send Common Alert Protocol (CAP) alerts to a third-party server using the Secure Copy Protocol (SCP). This is one of several ways the Alertus system can communicate with other systems using the CAP standard. This is the recommended way to integrate with an analog/digital emergency alert system (EAS) controller, which allows Alertus alerts to override analog or digital cable television programming and offer other capabilities such as the ability to receive and process emergency alert system alerts. This option has no software requirements.
- Cable TV override can integrate with a number of analog/digital EAS controllers. Many cable systems already have this in place to comply with EAS regulations. EAS controllers like Monroe R189 pulls CAP from our server and has a mfg-supported integration with the comb filter unit. The Monroe R180 is a comb filter that can override analog cable channels only. Required models vary depending on how many channels an organization wants to override.
- Audio Interface: Balanced Stereo Audio pass through (600W Bal.), 14 pin detachable terminal strip.
- EAS Relay: 2 Normally open dry contacts, 7 pin detachable terminal strip
- Internal Character Generator Video Output: Standard NTSC 100 IRE
- LAN Interface: 1 or 4,10/100 Base-T RJ45
- General Purpose Inputs: 2 programmable inputs, 7 pin detachable terminal strip
- Power Requirements: Input 120VAC @ .4 amps
- Dimensions: 19.0” W x 3.50” H x 12.0” D (2RU)
Comb Filter Specs
- Audio/Video: R180/AV50 on all channels 2 through 50 (380 MHz), R180/AV70 on all channels 2 through 71 (500 MHz), R180/AV70/OB/78 on all channels 2 through 78 (550 MHz), Includes mid-band channels: #99 (A-1) #98 (A-2) #97 (A-3), #96 (A-4), #95 (A-5).
- Adjustable RF Output Control: up to 40 dBmV
- Trunk Switch Isolation: 70 dBmV min
- FCC Offset: ± 3KHz in the aeronautical band
- Channel Flatness: 3 dBmV
- Power Requirements: 90-240VAC,47-63Hz
- Physical Size: 19.0”W x 3.5”H x 13.5” D 13 lbs